Friday, February 1, 2013

Strange happenings-Man blows up house using petrol as cleaner

A man blew up his house as he washed his kitchen floor with a cleaning fluid mixed with petrol. The fumes were ignited by the boiler in his living room.

The blast blew out the bay window and wrecked ceilings and walls in Ron Cox's home. He had been using Cillit Bang to get glue off his kitchen floor tiles, but he found it such hard work he thought petrol would help. As the fumes wafted through the house there was an explosion as they came into contact with the pilot light on the gas boiler. Newspapers reported that Mr Cox said, "I didn't realise what had happened at first. I couldn't believe the damage. It was just a cupful. Lucky I was in the kitchen and no one else was in the house."

He has now moved out of the house in Scunthorpe, Lincs, while it is repaired. His neighbour, Dave, told the reporter, "We heard an almighty bang. I rushed round and found Ron shocked but unhurt." Dave put out a fire in the lounge and dialled 999.

Humberside fire chief Stuart Spence said: "Ron is very lucky. Nobody should ever try to use petrol as a cleaner."


  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP